The Champions League group stages have concluded! To commemorate, this week instead of a team of the week, ORTEC Sports created a Team of the League to compare the players over the entire UCL group stage.
Instead of focusing on a single stat, the Team of the League has been put together using the ORTEC Player Performance Score. This score is a score given between 1 and 10 based on how well the players performed in several stats. These stats include (amongst others), goal attempts, duels, possession regain and key actions.
Optimize your stats
– The Team of the League gets 2 of their players from the Juventus squad, with both the left and right back scoring near the 8.0 in Sandro and Cuandado.
– The best scoring player in the Champions League group stages was Lionel Messi. This great score consists in part of:
– Messi had a goal involvement of 2.25 per match.
– He had a pass count of around 70 passes per match, oh which he hit 88%.
– He made on average 4 goal attempts on target per match, with 4.8 shots.
– The Goalkeeper spot this week is taken by Matvej Safonov from Russias Krasnodar. This is the only spot we did not use the player performance score, as it involves a lot of statistics and weights that are irrelevant for a Goalkeeper. Instead we focussed on the most saves on goal attempts, which was 7.8 per match, with the highest save % at 74%.
– Although he only played two matches, Kevin de Bruyne came in second in terms of performance score. This score was in large part due to his high amount of key actions and assists, and 4,5 and 2.0 average per match respectively.
– Of the Team, Vasquez received the most first passes in possession on average at 11 per match.
– The only player on the team who had a higher pass accuracy than Messi was Romero who hit 89% as opposed to Messi’s 88%. However Romero only made about half the amount of passes Messi did at 34,2 per match.
– The king of duels was Sandro. This duelist had on average 10.7 defensive duels per match, and won 75% of them. This is only equaled by Romero who averaged 16.6 defensive duels with a 73% win rate. However what sets Sandro truly apart is that he also averages about 4.3 attacking duels per match, and of these he won a stellar 77%.
ORTEC Sports Tactic Tree
The ORTEC Sports Team of the Week is released every Monday and will present the best performing players on a specific aspect of the Tactic Tree. The Tactic Tree is used to categorize statistics into the two main stages of a game: ‘being in possession’ and the counterpart ‘possession opponent’, both divided into 4 subcategories.
Every week we pick one statistic that is used in a subcategory and based on that statistic the best scoring players on each position will be presented in the team of the week.