This weeks’ team is composed out of the best defending players. Based on our defensive-statistics in round 19 of the Eredivisie, we selected the players with the most defensive duels won. From the players who were tied for a spot in the team, we picked the one with the highest percentage (%) defensive duels won. If this was also the same, possession regain in play by duel was the decisive statistic.
Defensive duel = A duel engaged by a player of a team that is not in ball possession. Duels can be divided into air, standing, sliding, and ground duels.
Optimize your stats
– On average, Danny Post (VVV Venlo) has the most defensive duels won with 7.48 per match. Post is also the player with the record for the most defensive duels won in one match this season (20), in game week 7 (Willem II – VVV Venlo).
– The player with the highest average percentage of defensive duels won is Leon Guwara of FC Utrecht. He wins on average 82% of his defensive duels per 90 minutes (45 out of 55 duels).
– Edson Alverez (Ajax) has the most possession regains by duel, with on average 3.44 per match.
– Heracles Almelo has the most defensive duels won (799). FC Groningen is the current number two with 777 defensive duels won. AZ (590) had the smallest number of defensive duels won.
– On average there are 74 defensive duels won per Eredivisie match, divided over both teams. With on average 42 defensive duels won per match, Heracles is on top of the Eredivisie. For reference: In the Big 5 leagues of Europe, only Southampton (Premier League) scores higher with 41.7 defensive duels won per match. Valencia (Primera Division) had the smallest number of defensive duels won, with on average 25 per match.
Below you will find the Top 10 players with the most defensive duels won in the 2019-2020 Eredivisie season.
ORTEC Sports Tactic Tree
The ORTEC Sports Team of the Week is released every Monday and will present the best performing players on a specific aspect of the Tactic Tree. The Tactic Tree is used to categorize statistics into the two main stages of a game: ‘being in possession’ and the counterpart ‘possession opponent’, both divided into 4 subcategories.
Every week we pick one statistic that is used in a subcategory and based on that statistic the best scoring players on each position will be presented in the team of the week.