This week’s team contains the strongest players in the air based on both offensive and defensive-statistics in round 21 of the Eredivisie. We selected the players with the highest % air duels won in every position.
Air duel = A duel where at least one player tries to play the ball with his head. Air duels can be divided into defensive duels (where the player’s team is already in possession) and offensive duels (where the opposing team is in possession).
We applied a minimum of air duels for players to be included in the Team of the Week. For defenders this was 4 duels, for midfielders 5 duels, and for attackers 3 duels. To complete the team, the goalkeeper with the best catch percentage was chosen. Vitesse’s Pasveer managed to catch all of his 11 interceptions.
Optimize your stats:
– Vitesse and VVV Venlo are the only clubs to have multiple players in the team, even though neither of them secured 3 points.
– The best performer this week was Heracles Almelo’s Kiomourtzoglou. He won 100% of his 7 air duels against Willem II, 6 of which were defensive. The other 100% scorers were Botman (5/5), Botteghin (4/4) and Zeefuik (4/4).
– PSV’s Lars Unnerstall was the only keeper this round with an outfield air duel (a last-minute corner against Ajax), which he won.
– The average number of air duels per game this round was 23. AZ – RKC Waalwijk was the match with the fewest air duels: only 8. Willem II – Heracles had the most (40 air duels).
– The record for the most air duels won in one match is held by Vangelis Pavlidis. He won 13 out of his 21 air duels in round 13, in Willem II’s 2-1 win over PSV.
– The defender with the most defensive air duels won per match is Sven Botman of SC Heerenveen (3.4 on average).
– The attacker with the most offensive air duels won per match is Vangelis Pavlidis of Willem II (3.8 on average), closely followed by Sparta’s Ragnar Ache (3.7 on average).
– Number 4 of the league Willem II engages in the most air duels per match (37.6), while runner-up AZ has the lowest number of air duels per match (20).
– In the traditional Big 5 leagues, Spanish side SD Eibar has the most air duels per match (38.5), while French giants PSG have the fewest (12.2).
Below you will find the top 10 of players per position who score the highest on % air duels won:
The ORTEC Sports Team of the Week is released every Monday and will present the best performing players on a specific aspect of the Tactic Tree. The Tactic Tree is used to categorize statistics into the two main stages of a game: ‘being in possession’ and the counterpart ‘possession opponent’, both divided into 4 subcategories.
Every week we pick one statistic that is used in a subcategory and based on that statistic the best scoring players on each position will be presented in the team of the week.