This week’s team contains the most aggressive passers based on our build up-statistics in round 23 of the Eredivisie. We selected the players with the highest number of passes to the penalty area in every position.
Pass to box = any pass which ends in the penalty box. The starting location can be anywhere on the pitch. If two players were tied for a place in the team, we first looked at the number of completed passes in the final third. If that was a draw as well, percentage completed passes was decisive.
Optimize your stats:
– The only two teams to supply more than one player were the numbers 3 and 8 of the league, Feyenoord and FC Groningen.
– Ajax’s Hakim Ziyech returned to the starting line-up after his injury and leads the team of the week with 12 passes to the box.
– Feyenoord’s Steven Berghuis kept out two other high scoring right wingers with his performance: PSV’s Mohamed Ihattaren (11), and SC Heerenveen’s Mitchell van Bergen (10).
– PEC Zwolle’s Michael Zetterer was the only goalkeeper with a pass to the box this round. The record for a goalkeeper this season is held by Vitesse’s Remko Pasveer. He had 5 passes to the box in gameweek 8 (vs. RKC), and gameweek 11 (vs. ADO Den Haag).
– The record for an outfield player is held by Ziyech (18 passes), in Ajax’s 6-1 win over ADO Den Haag on gameday 18.
– Ziyech also leads the total tally of passes to the box: 182 so far this season. His teammate Dusan Tadic comes in second with 150 passes, only slightly ahead of AZ’s Calvin Stengs (141).
– The defender with the most passes to the box this season is Vitesse’s Max Clark (116), staying ahead of Emmen’s Glenn Bijl (105) and FC Utrecht’s Sean Klaiber (103).
– Looking at team statistics, Ajax is far ahead of the rest with an average of 39.9 passes to the box per match this season. Number 15 of the league VVV Venlo scores the lowest: only 18.5 passes to the box per 90 minutes.
– In the traditional Big 5 leagues, reigning German champions Bayern Munchen are the team closest to Ajax, with 39 passes to the box per game. The lowest scoring team is French side Bordeaux (16.4).
Below you will find the top 10 of players per position who have the most passes to the box per match:
The ORTEC Sports Team of the Week is released every Monday and will present the best performing players on a specific aspect of the Tactic Tree. The Tactic Tree is used to categorize statistics into the two main stages of a game: ‘being in possession’ and the counterpart ‘possession opponent’, both divided into 4 subcategories.
Every week we pick one statistic that is used in a subcategory and based on that statistic the best scoring players on each position will be presented in the team of the week.