This week, the Team of the Week is a little different than usual. We picked a negative statistic, namely possession loss by pass. Based on our turnover/possession lost-statistics, these are the players who gave away possession by bad passing most often in round 26 of the Eredivisie.
There are three possible causes for possession loss: by pass, by duel, and other. If two players shared the biggest number of possession losses by pass, we selected the player with the smallest number of total passes.
Optimize your stats
– The only club to have more than one player in the Team of the Week is PEC Zwolle, who drew 1-1 against Fortuna Sittard in a crucial relegation battle.
– Zwolle’s Gustavo Hamer is this week’s player with the most possession losses after a bad pass (13), together with FC Emmen’s Sergio Peña. Peña’s average this season is 6.9 possession losses by pass per 90 minutes, while Hamer’s average is 6.3.
– Four players are from winning teams (Ajax’s Ziyech, Emmen’s Peña, AZ’s Stengs, and Heracles’ Burgzorg).
– This round, the average number of possession losses by pass per player was 3.7 (only taking into account players who played at least 45 minutes).
– The team with the most possession losses by pass this week was FC Twente (57 times).
– Twente’s opponent Vitesse lost possession by pass 48 times, making that match the one with the highest number this week (105 times). The match with the fewest possession losses by passes was AZ – ADO (72 times).
– The highest absolute number of possession losses by pass this season is 166 (Calvin Stengs of AZ).
– Of the players who played at least half of the matches this season, Fortuna Sittard’s Vitalie Damașcan had the fewest possession losses by pass per match (1.1).
– Ajax’s Hakim Ziyech is the player with the highest average possession loss by pass so far this season: 7.0 times per 90 minutes.
– Hakim Ziyech also holds the negative record for the most possession losses by pass in one match; 15 times in round 13 (4-0 win vs. FC Utrecht). He shares this record with Xandro Schenk, who had the same amount in round 19 (0-0 vs. FC Groningen).
– FC Twente also happens to be the Eredivisie team with the most average possession losses by pass this season (42.9 times per 90 minutes). Sparta Rotterdam scores the lowest (37.1 times per match).
– In the traditional Big 5 leagues, only 4 teams lose the ball by bad passing more often than FC Twente, Eintracht Frankfurt rank highest with 45.6 times per 90 minutes.
– The European teams with the lowest scores are Real Betis and Olympique Lyon (33.6 times per 90 minutes).
Below you will find the top 10 of players per position who score the highest on possession loss by pass per match:
ORTEC Sports Tactic Tree
The ORTEC Sports Team of the Week is released every Monday and will present the best performing players on a specific aspect of the Tactic Tree. The Tactic Tree is used to categorize statistics into the two main stages of a game: ‘being in possession’ and the counterpart ‘possession opponent’, both divided into 4 subcategories.
Every week we pick one statistic that is used in a subcategory and based on that statistic the best scoring players on each position will be presented in the team of the week.